Saturday, August 14, 2010

Just Walk It Off - Day 2 of Walking


I had an excellent day!  I started my day by working in the garden and potting and repotting some houseplants and patio plants.  It has been something that I haven't been able to do, and it was a gorgeous day so I was outside all day.  I even worked in the garden a bit.  But that was more difficult and harder with my ankle.  Because I wasn't walking much and mostly standing, I wrapped my ankle to help with the swelling.  Before I started in the garden, I came in and elevated it a bit and iced it.

Then, I went for a walk.  I ended up walking for over an HOUR!!!!!  I drove to a trail that is flat and paved.  I had my sneakers on and did not have it wrapped.  At first it was uncomfortable, but I just walked it off and even picked up a little speed.  I am not sure how far I walked, definitely over a mile if not two.  I ended up calling a friend I haven't talked to in awhile, so I just kept walking and talking.  It felt great!!!  The more I walk, the better it feels.  My calf muscle is sore, and I have been trying to stretch it out.  I am shocked I am walking this well.  Last week I couldn't even put pressure on it.  I am going to keep pushing myself, it hurts and is hard to do, but I want to walk more and gain back my strength.

I have discovered that I experience the most pain or discomfort right when I wake up, or after I have had my ankle resting.  It just gets really stiff, and my heal hurts when I start walking.  But the more I walk and move around the quicker the discomfort goes away.

Now that the cast if off, I have found that a reusable ice bag has been the best way to ice it.  I have those gel packs, but they don't stay cold very long.  These ice bags are great.  I just put some water and ice in them and keep it in the frig or freezer during the day when I want to quickly grab it to ice it for a few minutes.  Plus it lays on the ankle really nicely and covers most of it.  I found the bag pictured above at Wal-Mart , by the ace wraps and other ice packs.

Now time to rest the ankle so I can do more walking tomorrow!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I didn't see your question on my blog about the ice pack- I did get mine at Walmart a year or two ago. Mine's all beat up from use. :)

    ReplyDelete