Sunday, August 15, 2010

Where would I be without Vicodin?

I am still walking!  I did a lot today but am paying for it.  Today I cleaned the house and did some laundry. Surprisingly I actually missed doing that the past eight weeks.  This afternoon I went for a walk.  Instead of driving to the trail I decided to walk.  I also thought Tylenol would suffice for the pain, I was wrong.  I managed to walk about a mile and a half.  I noticed I moved more fluidly if that makes since.  I didn't feel like I was hobbling as much.  However, it started to hurt.  I regretted not taking the Vicodin.  But I called a friend to chit chat and take my mind of the pain.  Before I knew it I was back home and able to elevate my leg with a nice cold ice pack.

After today, I was really grateful that my doctor prescribe more pain meds.  At first I didn't think I would need them.  But it is painful to start walking again.  I could see how the pain could be intimidating and make me want to stop or dread walking again.  So if you reading this and going through the same ordeal, ask for drugs!  The worst thing your doctor can say is no, and perhaps suspect you are a junky.  But seriously, pain meds exist for a reason.  Pain is not good for our bodies.  If I was relying simply on Tylenol to get me out and walking, I could see it slowing me down.  My doctor said the more I walk, the better the pain and swelling will get.  But the pain meds are wonderful at the end of the day and in the morning when it hurts the most and is the hardest to move.

I plan on walking more and more.  I might try getting my walk in during the morning, in hopes that it will be easier than in the afternoon.  I am just grateful to be walking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment