Saturday, June 26, 2010

Post Surgery Tips

Day 1 - Not too bad. Took my Percocet religiously and kept my foot elevated. The hospital gave me this big pillow that my leg sits in. Its amazing how much better it feels when it is elevated. The nerve blocker wore off so the pain increased. I iced behind my knee which helped a lot. TIP: use the ice packs made to go in coolers, the rectangular shaped ones. They stay cold really long and fit perfectly behind the knee. Ice really helps with the pain.

Day 2 - Pain a little worse. Perfected going to the bathroom with only one leg :). Also managed to make the bed. These little things mean so much!

Day 3 - Tried to ease up on the Percocet a bit. Tylenol and ice worked well during the day. (My doctor said no IB Prophen because it prevents healing) The pain seems to be the worse in the evening. TIP: Try to save your Percocet for night, especially when you sleep! I went ahead and asked the doctor for more pain meds, I think it will be something less strong.

Day 4 - Feeling a lot better. Figured out a way to take a weird bath. I had surgery on my right leg. So I was trying to figure out how I could shower. It is really important not to get the cast wet to prevent infection. So I folded a towel in half length wise and laid it on the edge of the tub. I ran water in the tub with soap. Then I sat on the edge of the tub with my bad leg propped up on the edge with a towel over it and the other leg in the tub. Then I used a washcloth and bathed myself. It felt really good after I was done and was easy. I did it all by myself too! Now my big dilemma is whether I should take the time to shave my one good leg or just let it go :). I am hoping to get downstairs either today or tomorrow. I have been stuck upstairs since Monday, really wishing we had a toilet downstairs!

Other Tips... I read that Vitamin C is good for healing so I have been taking that. Also, elevation seems to be so important. It really feels better when it is elevated. When I have to get up it, I feel more pressure around my ankle instantly. Also make sure you have someone around to take care of you. I am lucking to have had my husband around. You can't cook, get water, do anything! The first two weeks are the most important to have someone around. My husband Dan has been so wonderful and helpful!

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog.. Very comprehensive and helpful. I have already Google Scholar researched the procedure. Probably know more than I should for my own good. To the point of google image for confirmation that my MRI was read correctly. It was. And I know the best treatment is surgery..and my condition has slowed me down way too much. But I needed a confidence push and found it here. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

    ReplyDelete