Friday, September 10, 2010

Walk for 2 hours straight??? Yes I can!!!

Last night I went on a walk on the trails in the woods behind my house.  They are really nice trails that go on and on.  My friend had been away all summer so we had a lot of catching up to do.  So we just kept walking and walking, at a fairly brisk pace too.  By the time we got home, I looked at the clock and noticed we walked for a full 2 hours.  We had to of walked at least 5 miles.  I was shocked!  Best part, my ankle felt great.  I iced it for awhile after, but it felt so great.

I am amazed sometimes by this all.  I keep meaning to post of picture of my scar.  Its so swollen sometimes at night when I remember to take a shot, it makes me not want to capture that moment.  One morning when it is nice and normal looking I will snap a shot of it.  It looks great.  Crazy that a couple of months ago it had staples holding it all together.

I am glad this is all behind me.  I am also glad I really pushed myself those first few weeks after having the cast off.  It really hurt, and was frustrating at times with how slow I had to walk.  But it was worth it!

6 comments:

  1. Your story is inspiring. I injured my peroneal tendons 3 years ago and have put of surgery for various reasons. Hopefully I'll be able to have the surgery sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible to email you? I have a question about the surgery and I can't find the answer anywhere online. My email address is bill.stull@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,

    Thanks so much for doing this! I am seeing my ortho on Monday to revisit surgery options. I injured in December 2008 and have been putting off surgery, mostly because of the recovery time associated with this surgery. The shoe suggestions are super helpful, so if you discover a pair of sneakers you like please do post that. I also REALLY like that you went to the beach the day before surgery. I am typically a pretty tough cookie, but this has my anxiety pretty amped up. Luckily you and most of the people on the RunnersWorld forum have reported great success.
    Best of luck for continued healing, and I look forward to more posts.
    (Another) Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. ErinA - Thanks for the kind words. Recovery is a long road, but definitely do it! I wish I would of had this surgery immediately following the injury. But now I am just happy its fixed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey . I had surgery 9 weeks ago only started walking with two crutches in a support but last week . I am just wondering how long it took for you to get to the stage you can run and jump again .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just simply wanted to say thank you! I've read through your blog today. I'm having the same surgery in less than two weeks. I've done a lot of research, have read through a few blogs and yours by far makes me the most optimistic! I plan to follow Dr.'s orders, plenty of people out there didn't and I see how it really does make a difference in the recovery!

    Thank you for taking the time to blog about your experience and I'm glad to hear it didn't take years (as some people have said) to fully regain your mobility!

    ReplyDelete