Thursday, July 8, 2010

Staples Out! Split Off! Purple Cast On!!!

Today I went in for my first post op appointment.  It has been 18 days since my surgery.  Having the splint taken off felt so nice.  I was able to move my ankle around a bit and wiggle my toes.  The incision wound looked really good.  It was swollen but not too bad and there wasn't any bruising.  After having the splint taken off the nurse removed my surgical staples.  They look like real staples and weren't very comfortable to have removed.  Luckily my doctors office told me to take a percocet prior to coming in.  After the staples were taken out the nurse wiped off my leg and toes with rubbing alcohol.  She didn't clean around the incision.  I was surprised there wasn't more blood around the incision wound, there wasn't any really!  After that, I had x-rays taken and the doctor came in to see me.  Both the doctor and nurse told me how good everything looked!  They said they could tell I have been following orders and not over doing it.  I will go back in a few weeks and have another cast put on and then on August 12th, I will have my cast removed and will be able to walk!!!!!  Until then I will be on crutches and not allowed to put any weight on it.

The first photo is with staples, the second is with them removed.

It feels so great to have the splint off and the new cast on.  The fiberglass cast is so much lighter and less bulky.  Its really amazing.  I am still going to stay around the house and keep it elevated.  I am following my doctors orders.  I think that is so important.  I could see how tempting it would be to go out and do something right now, but I want to keep the swelling down and I want it to keep getting better!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! How is the pain now when your foot isn't elevated? I'm about 10 daysbehind you and I still have lots of pain when I get up. I'm glad you noted the cast is lighter - I can't wait to get this heavy splint off on Monday.
    Take care and I'll check in on your blog.
    Good luck,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christy,
    My foot still hurts when it isn't elevated, however, I am able to stay on my feet a little longer everyday, although I don't want to push it. I was told that incision wounds heal from the inside out and if a little portion doesn't close or busts open it increases the chance for infection and takes longer to heal. My doctor told me swelling is the number one cause for that.

    Congrats on getting the splint off Monday! The cast is so much better! Although I have to go back in on Monday for a new cast. It is already too loose! They said my muscles probably weren't relaxed when they put the cast on, so as soon as my muscles weren't contracted the cast is now too big.

    Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete